Thursday, June 02, 2005

My little doggie has a stalker…

WE have our little bundle of joy for just more than a year now and our new doggie, cos she is still new-ish, is the baby of the house. She is more demanding than my own child ever was, except of course now that they are a teenage monster, and to say we spoil the dog probably doesn’t go far enough. Well due to the cost I haven’t brought her to be fixed and had planned to go any day now to have her ‘done’ and get her booster shots.


warm



Unfortunately she has come into heat again before I could do that and this will be the second time. The first time wasn’t so bad, apart from a bit of a mess, we weren’t hassled by dogs, we were able to take her for her walks without the fear of little puppies – but not this time, my little baby is now a woman… dog.

She has been in heat now for about two and a half weeks, and over the last three days a neighbouring dog has taken to whining and camping out the front of our house; my poor baby has a stalker and a very determined one at that.

At first it wasn’t so bad, you could sneaky our doggie out, let her do her business, have a quick run-a-round before heading back in, not now… Everytime I look out my window, he is there, sniffing around and whining. I have lost count of the amount of people who have checked this dog’s collar to see where it comes from and who it belongs to because it looks to them to be lost and dejected. Dejected maybe, lost certainly not, and definitely a little too amorous for my liking. People have rang my doorbell to say ‘yer dog wants in, he’s whining!’. So much for me hiding the dog from the landlord! If he calls by this weekend, he will find this border collie encamped on our front step...


DOG



In the morning, the young wan will bring the doggie out for a quickie run when the friends call to walk to school and then again when home from school. But at the moment, the other dog has been stalking, hiding and ready, really ready to pounce. Bear in mind, my doggie is a mixed-breed miniature snauzzer, she is really a cute terrier look to her and this mutt is a big dirty, hairy collie. And not that I have any intention of letting her get with puppy, I am annoyed with myself that she has come into heat before we visited the vet, the mix of those two wouldn’t be pretty at all. And not to mention that my doggie could nearly comfortably walk right under this dog without touching its underbelly – and I mean that figuratively.

Then once the young wan has gone to bed I keep a lookout to see if the dog is about before bringing her out again. I can’t tell you how many times I have been just about to head out the door when I notice the big swishy, bushy tail of this collie-in-waiting. In fact last night, I couldn’t see the collie, took out the lead, was followed round the flat by a prancing and delighted doggie. I brought her down to the front door only to have the collie leap into the garden with much delightedness, he nearly went ‘welllll hellllllloooooo…’ only to have to bring the poor baby back into the house having only had half a pee.


window


Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo? Running down the road with his big bushy tail between his legs, that’s where!

Back upstairs I went to the flat with the doggie, dejectedly walking behind me, not at all happy. I kept watch for another 20 minutes before deciding that I wanted to go to bed and opened the window and threw a teapot full of cold water down over the step and over the dog. Wow, did he run fast, back down the road and away. So back out we went and a delighted puppy got to do her business.

I tested out this theory again this morning and yet again it worked, off the collie ran down the road, never looking back. I told the puppy ‘see, that’s men for ya! one spot of bad weather and off they run’. She understood as well.

4 comments:

Blueyes said...

LOL good story :) I have a new puppy now too and she's scheduled to be fixed next month before she even goes into heat!

Red Mum said...

Good move! Get it over with and out of the way and no dogstalking...

Vetmommy said...

Ha ha, that was funny. I remember when we were at college, my sister's cat went into heat, and it seemed like she stood at the window, too, singing, "Someday my prince will come, someday I'll find my love..."

Anonymous said...

Well, being the co-parent of a cross breed ,yes poodle and the ferious beast of a kerry Blue BITCH,I am very aware of these times of heat. My mothers own remedy has always been to elastic band the penis of any male, believe me it has worked.