Saturday, February 14, 2009

Photo meet - Irish Blog Awards

EDIT: February 18th @10:50am:

Meeting place: Oak Pub, Oliver Plunkett Street and Caroline Street (map). (Thanks Donncha)

Time: noon in Cork City and 11.30am for those of us staying in the hotel to head into town


Irish Blog Awards photowalk 2009

WE'VE done a bit of talking on Twitter about the photo meet before the Irish Blog Awards in Cork next weekend, February 21st and seeing as how the Ladies Tea Party begins at 4pm and some of the photowalkers are booked in for that, I would suggest that we finish up by 3ish so the lady lunchers can make it back to the Cork Airport Hotel.

So far we haven't settled on what to do, but I believe there is a general consensus that we will make our way into Cork City and follow our noses. I imagine to give us a good shot at the afternoon that we should meet in Cork City at noon. For those of us staying in the Cork Airport Hotel, I'd say we should get taxis from 11.30ish into town.

I know a good gang have already said they are up for the photowalk so what about you? Any thoughts on what we should do, where we should go, what we absolutely cannot miss? Oh yeah where should we meet in town. As things are firmed up, I'll update this post so do check back.

As always this event is open to absolutely anyone. If you cannot make the noon start, drop me an email with your mobile number and we can keep in touch over the afternoon.

You can find out about the other blog awards events on the awards blog. And thanks to Sabrina who made the photo walk graphic last year, hopefully she won't mind that I recycled it.

If you have any thoughts let us know in the comments.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you are staying at the aiport there is a bus you can avail of rather than taxis. http://www.skylinkcork.com/
They have an online sale for tickets.
Regarding good stuff to photograph, Shandon, the Butter Market Museum, Cork Goal, UCC, St. Finbarr's, the English Market various churches around the city.
A photo challenge - most interesting way to depict how steep the upper part of Patrick's Hill is. :-)

Red Mum said...

Ha that was quick off the mark, all those suggestions sounds brilliant, particularly love the hill one! Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

there is a great view from the top of patrick's hill too. more to photograph. :-)

Anonymous said...

the view works both ways. And there are always rooftops (multi storey car parks are so obliging)

I'll be there. Meet ye in the city, or at the airport/hotel?

Darren said...

In all the times I've been to Cork I've never been in the city so I would love to just walk around there.

I'm staying at the hotel so will share a taxi if needed.

Elf in Amsterdam said...

Looking forward to it. Me and the GF will be staying at the hotel. Doubtless we'll be able to organise bus or taxi in with whoever is around that morning. Now let's all pray for semi decent weather. Elf

Red Mum said...

Looking like a great crowd so far. The general feeling seems to be out and about in town. And yes lets hope the rain stays off, but sure even if it doesn't we'll still have fun.

Darren said...

I meant to say too that if anyone who wants to tag along and doesn't have a camera I have a spare Nikon D50 which I can bring along.

Red Mum said...

Nice one Darren, I'm sure someone will be thrilled with that.

Unknown said...

May be able to pop along. I'll text someone to find out where ye are.

Anonymous said...

Not going to the Blog Awards, even though it's on my own doorstep, but would like to meet up for photowalk. Will keep an eye out for updates.

Anonymous said...

I'll be there if my schedule (ie. baby's schedule) allows!

Anonymous said...

This sounds great - what time are you all meeting up (has this been decided yet) and where's the meeting spot?

Red Mum said...

its shaping up to be a lot of fun.

Eddie we are going to meet at noon in town, (11.30am for those of us at the hotel). Where to meet has yet to be decided. Have any of the Cork people any suggestions? I'll edit the top of the post to include meeting times and place when we get it.

Anonymous said...

What about the Old Oak? Nice spacious pub on Oliver Plunkett Street and Caroline Street around here. At least if it's raining everyone will be out of the wet.

The Sexy Pedestrian said...

I'm hoping to make this but I'm not sure I will. For photo ops, I'd recommend the English Market (a bit obvious, though), the Docklands (past city hall), the Hi B for pics and an afternoon pint - maybe just after ye meet, it's around the corner from the Oak on Oliver Plunkett St., if there's a big crowd and you all arrive together, the owner is likely to get extremely angry and treat you to one of his trademark tirades - well worth seeing, oh and turn your mobile off or he WILL throw it out of the window. There's also a brilliant little curios/antique shop on Winthrop St. across from the GPO (it's staffed by a man who cares not a jot about the smoking ban), there's the Peace Park on the Grand Parade, which is lovely for pics...French Church St, Barrack St., the Coal Quay... maybe you should all just move here, it's brilliant!

Anonymous said...

Where to meet up?

The traditional Corkonian meeting places in my day were:

Outside Cash's - that's always the daytime meeting point.

Or, for night time, outside the Queens.

Ah, nostalgia for my home town. In today's parlance, that translates to Brown Ts and Virgin.

Both areas are now pedestrian plazas so plenty of space to wait around.

Anonymous said...

I'm in the same boat as Donal, I can't make the awards but I'm hoping to make the photowalk. See ye in the Oak!

Red Mum said...

Excellent Laura jotting htem all down and see you then Kevin :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun. I'm hoping to make it too if I can.

Richard said...

Good things to see/photograph in the city- the quaker graveyard on summerhill south (opposite capwell bus station), the new boardwalk on the south mall, lots of micro stuff. (if you go into Milano's restaurant on Oliver Plunkett St you can see a good montage of street photography on the wall inside the door)