Friday, October 10, 2008

Having nun of it

I'VE a lot of work photographs to catch up on and until I do I feel too guilty to take my own. I am going to try and break this back of them this weekend (Irish Web Awards aside). But I had a moment today where I saw the photograph before I took it, then I got it and it so far ranks up there with some of my favourites.

The nun was walking down a side street in Dun Laoghaire being battered by the wind. At this stage she was near the top of the street so I picked up the camera, changed to my long lens and as she walked past I snapped three pics. The first shot was nearly the shot as her habit was flying high, but just as I released the shutter she grabbed it, in the second shot the habit was at half mast, the last was this one. Just what I wanted.

Having nun of it

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Prize winning. Excellent.

Red Mum said...

Thanks Paul :)

Anonymous said...

Good subject but dreary background

tina said...

Oooh, this is fantastic! I love it! Made me smile :)

Red Mum said...

@anonymous thats the rub with pics as they happen, I dont see the background to be honest, I just see the shot as it happened in front of me.

@tina excellent me too :)

Suz Broughton said...

I love everything about this photo. Excellent.

Anonymous said...

Brilliant! She looks like a Mr. Whippy ice cream.

Anonymous said...

anonymous the bland background accenuates the subject. if it was too interesting it would fight with the foreground. award winning photo red mum. maybe you're a tad jealous,anonymous?

Ms lydia Marsh

Red Mum said...

Thanks Suz @Alive in Wonderland

@Problemchildbride, ha brilliant, so she does :)

@Lydia Marsh Ooohhhhh and thanks :)

Anonymous said...

Great photo!

rosie said...

What a great shot - I think the background makes the nun stand out even more and the colour is great. I got the Mr Whippy thing, but then, on a more sinister note, i thought of the Klu Klux Klan....which got me thinking about extremism...which got me thinking about extremism within the Catholic Church....which got me thinking about how the nun is probably not one of those but just a sweet, holy lady.....but the bottom line is, it got me thinking as well as smiling, and that's fabulous. Keep snappin'!

Red Mum said...

@Rosie I think I have had the same thought process with this pic.

Thanks for the comment ;)

Unknown said...

one of your very best. well composed, well captured. I wouldn't change a thing.