Friday, September 05, 2008

Ach he's gone to school, wee Hughie

THIS IS for all the mammies and daddies who sent their little honeys to school for the first time this week, it's a toughie isn't it? This is a Elizabeth Shane poem I remember from yore and I used to read it to herself when she was wee from this fantastic kids Irish poetry book we had. Anyway here you go, this used to make me all choked up.

Ach he's gone to school, wee Hughie,
An' him not four,
Sure I saw the fright was in him
When he left the door.
I watched him to the corner o' the big turf stack,
An' the more his feet went forrit,
Still his head turned back.
I followed to the turnin
'When they passed it by, God help him he was cryin',
An' maybe so was I.

3 comments:

John Braine said...

Aye. Today's the first day he didn't cry so I that's the worst of it over.

Red Mum said...

Ach wee pet. I don't know though who finds it harder, the new schoolers or the parents!

Tommy said...

I'd say the parents. I mean, I started first year this year. Mom was worried, I was easy.