Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Happy International Womens' Day

I WAS looking for something to mark International Womens’ Day and seeing as how I can’t give you chocolates and flowers I thought I would try a poem.

I immediately thought about that great poem ‘When I am an old woman I shall wear purple' but it can't be reproduced apparently because there is some sort of copyright issue with it, but do check it out here if you do not know it cos it is a great poem.

raindrops

I then stumbled across a poem by Sumangalamata from around 600BC, read more about her here.

A Women Well Set Free

At last free,
at last I am a woman free!
No more tied to the kitchen,
stained amid the stained pots,
no more bound to the husband
who thought me less
than the shade he wove with his hands.
No more anger, no more hunger,
I sit now in the shade of my own tree.
Meditating thus, I am happy, serene.

Technorati tags: Technorati tags:

No comments: